Thursday, March 14, 2013

Honestly...it was only two days!

Our legs can attest to the kilometers of history we have walked through, up, around, down, etc... We truly have been through thousands of years of history in just two days. Years of Jewish education underneath our feet and entering our hearts. Our teens report below:

Yesterday was a truly magical day in the old city of Israel. Going to visit the different landmarks that are the holiest places for three different religions was amazing. What made the most impact for us was seeing the Western Wall for the first time. We had the opportunity to write a note and put it into the wall. This was a very spiritual and meaningful experience for us. It was also cool to learn about the history of the wall and what it represents. We learned new things that we wouldn't have if it wasn't seen first hand. It was a very inspirational moment for the both of us and we expect to return here and apply this information in the future.
Jaclyn Flomen and Daniel Bleiwas

Our day in the old city of Jerusalem was remarkable. I found it amazing to see and pray at the Western Wall, it was the highlight of my day; however, seeing the other holy sites that are sacred to the Islamic and Christian religions was far more fascinating than I expected it to be. When I think of Jerusalem, Judaism comes to my mind and I tend to forget the other religions, but seeing the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and how that monument impacted the Christians showed me that Jerusalem means as much to any other religion besides the one that built it. A prime example of the powerful impact that we witnessed was the Christian people as well as most likely some non Christians touching the slab of stone on which Jesus was supposedly prepared for his crucifixion. The belief of touching the stone is to gain a holy  presence and I could see that some of the people doing this had been waiting all there life for that moment, just as I had been waiting to visit the Western Wall.
Sammy Bluestein

Today was a day to remember and will not mostly likely happen again. Although it could happen again it won't be with the same people. My high point of the day was climbing down the mountain and the amazing view off of Masada. The Dead Sea was crazy. I have seen pictures of it and it was nothing from what I saw and heard. The experience of the Dead Sea was something new not only for me but my peers.
Today has been the best day so far, and I am very excited to see what's on for tomorrow and for the days to come...
Alex Tangir

No comments:

Post a Comment